You can use the Skype for Business desktop software or your skype-enabled phone to make calls to people both internal and external to KU. When you call others that are using Skype for Business, you will have full access to the Skype meeting features including video, screen sharing, and chat. When making calls to external phone numbers, you will only have access to call features including, hold, transfer, and mute.
For most Mac users, you can add video using the webcam on your Mac. You need a camera to share your video, but you don’t need one to see other people’s videos. Skype for Business automatically detects the webcam and uses it for your next video call.
Start a video call
Note: Often, the best way to start a video call is to start with an instant message and ask if the person is free for a video call. You can quickly add video to your IM conversation by selecting the Camera Icon You can continue using Instant Message while you talk.
Start a video call
- Find a contact either in your Contacts or using the search window.
- Select the contact and then select the Camera Icon.
- Your video call will begin, and your contact will receive a notification that you would like to video conference with them.
End a video call
- To end only the video and voice portion of the call, hang up by selecting the Red Telephone Icon. The instant message conversation will remain.
- To leave the video, voice, and instant message portion of the call, close the window.
Answer a video call
When someone calls you, an incoming conversation invitation notification is displayed in the middle of your computer screen. To join a video call, select the camera icon. You can also reject a call by clicking the red phone button.
Note: If you select the blue phone icon, you will only be sharing voice not video.
Add video to an IM conversation
You can quickly add video to your IM conversation by selecting the Camera Icon > Start Video. You can continue using Instant Message while you talk.
Note: Video can only be added to instant messages when you are chatting with someone else logged into Skype for Business.