Using a webcam
For the closest thing to a face-to-face conversation, connect a web camera to your computer. Skype for Business automatically detects the web camera and uses it for your next video call.
Note: You do not need a web camera to participate in video calls and online meetings. The camera only enables you to share your own video. If you do not have a web camera or do not have it enabled, you will appear as a generic blue icon to others.
To set up your camera:
- If you are using an external webcam, plug it in to your computer.
- Click Options in the Skype for Business interface, then click Video Device.
- If your don’t see your video preview, make sure the camera is working correctly.
- To adjust settings, click Camera Settings.
Start a video call
TIP: It’s always best to send an instant message and ask the person if they are available for a Skype for Business video call before initiating a call. They may need a minute to connect an audio and/or video device.
- Initiate an instant message and ask for permission to initiate a video call.
- Pause on the camera icon to preview your video.
- Fully click on the camera icon or click Start My Video to initiate the video.
- Your video starts streaming and is visible to everyone in the meeting.
You can continue to send instant messages to the call recipient(s) and also to other contacts.
Note: If you accept someone’s incoming video call, they won’t see you unless you add video from your side of the conversation.
Stop or end a video call
- To end video, pause on the camera icon and select an option:
- Stop My Video ends your video, but you can still see other participants’ videos.
- Leave video ends all the videos for you, but you’ll still have audio.
- To end the call completely, close the window by selecting the grey X in the upper right corner of the window.
Accept a video call
When someone calls you, an alert pops up on your screen.
- To answer the call, click anywhere in the blue area.
- To reject the call, click Ignore.
- Click Options to take other actions:
- Reply by IM instead of video.
- Answer With Audio Only if you don’t want to share your video.
- Set to Do not Disturb to reject the call and avoid other calls.
Note: You can participate in multiple voice or video calls at the same time. If you accept a video or voice call while you are on a different call, it will put your current call on hold.
Change video display options
- Click the Video drop-down menu during a video call to select how you would like to view the video.
- You can view video in full screen mode or in a pop-out window. You can also expand or hide the preview of your own video stream.