For KU-issued computers: Contact your department technical staff to install Lync. If you are currently using Office 2010, you can ask to have Lync installed without updating to Office 2013.
For personal computers: Lync 2013 is included as part of the Microsoft Office 2013. Students can download Microsoft Office 2013 at no cost and faculty and staff can purchase and download Microsoft Office 2013 at KU’s Software Web Store, kansas.onthehub.com. For more information, see technology.ku.edu/software/microsoft-lync.
To sign in to Lync:
- Launch Lync.
- Select the Start Menu.
- Select All Programs.
- Look for and click Lync 2013. It may be located in the Microsoft Office 2013 folder under All Programs.
KU staff and faculty who are centralized: Lync should automatically populate your username and ID and you won’t need to do the following.
- Sign in.
- Under Sign in Address, enter your KU primary email address.
- Under Username, enter the domain (home) followed by a backslash (\) and your KU Online ID (i.e. home\OnlineID).
- Under Password, enter your KU online password.
Lync will automatically launch upon login for PC users unless you manually sign out.
There are multiple methods for signing out of Lync. The easiest way to sign out is to select the drop-down menu for availability under your name and choose Sign Out. If you’d like to sign out completely and appear Offline, follow the directions above and select Exit.
- Click on the settings icon in the Lync interface.
- Select Personal from the left navigation.
- Deselect Automatically start Lync when I log on to Windows.
- Select OK.