What is Presence?
As a Mac user, your Presence consists of your social update and availability.
Your social update is a personal note that lets other people know what’s happening today. Your social update appears below your contact if added to a contact list. To add your social update:
- In the Lync main window, click the box below your name that says, “Click to create a personal status message.”
- Type a note, such as "Working from home" or "Working on a deadline, please IM instead of stopping by."
- Hit enter or return on your keyboard.
- Your social update will not change unless you change it. For example, if you enter “At home with sick kids,” you will want to delete that message when it is no longer valid. To remove a social update, clear the note box so it's blank (delete the contents of the note box).
- If you set up an out-of-office message in Outlook, your out-of-office message will override your social update and appear below your contact.
By default, Lync will determine your availability based on the calendar associated with your KU account and your computer activity. If you are in a meeting on your calendar, you will appear “Busy.” If you have walked away from your computer for more than 5 minutes, you will appear “Away.”
To override this default and specify your own availability:
- Open Lync 2011 and, in the Lync main window, click the availability dropdown menu under your name, and then select a different status, such as Busy.
To reset or return to having your availability determined by your calendar:
- Open Lync 2011 and, in the Lync main window, click the availability dropdown menu under your name, then click Reset Status.
Here are the available presence statuses and what they mean: