Send an instant message to one person
Locate the person you want to send an instant message to by finding them in Search or your Contacts list. Do one of the following:
- Select the contact, then select the message icon at the bottom of the window.
- Double-click anywhere on their contact listing.
- Hold down control on the keyboard and select the contact. Then, select Send an Instant Message.
- Click on the icon beside the contact and select the message icon.
- Type your message at bottom of the conversation window.
- Press Enter or Return on your keyboard to send the message.
Share a file or image using instant message
To send a file or image using instant message, do one of the following.
- Initiate an Instant Message. Then drag-and-drop a saved file into the text input area.
- Initiate an Instant Message. Select the paper clip icon in the window. Browse for the file, select it and select Send.
- Copy and paste a saved file or any image from an Office program into the text input area.
- Press PrtScn on your keyboard to capture an image directly from your screen, and then paste it into the text input area.
Invite another contact to a conversation
Add others to the conversation by dragging their contact listing from your Contacts list into the conversation window.
Or you can select the Settings icon in the message window.
Then select Invite by name or phone number … Select the person from your Contacts List or search for them, select their contact, then select OK.
Send separate instant messages to different people
You can have separate instant message conversations with different people at the same time. For example, you might be sending instant messages to your manager in one conversation, while checking with another person or group in another conversation.
- Start an instant message conversation using the steps above.
- Without closing the existing conversation, repeat the steps above to start a completely new conversation with another contact, number, or group.
Add voice to a conversation
You can quickly add audio to your IM conversation by selecting the Call Icon . You can continue using Instant Message while you talk.
Add video to a conversation
You can quickly add video to your IM conversation by selecting the Camera Icon. You can continue using Instant Message while you talk.
End a conversation
When you’re done with an IM conversation, do the following:
- Click the Close button in the upper-left corner of the Conversation window.
By default, instant messages and voice and video call logs are available in Lync and in an automatically generated folder in Outlook called Conversation History.
To view your conversation history in Lync:
- Launch Lync.
- In the top menu, select Window the Conversation History.
To view your conversation history in Outlook:
- Launch Outlook or log in at mail.ku.edu.
- Look for a folder below your inbox called Conversation History.
To change the settings for saving your conversation history:
If someone else has review rights for your mailbox, they will be able to see your conversation history. You can change these settings and avoid having your conversation history in Outlook by:
- Launch Lync.
- In the top menu, select Lync then Preferences.
- Select the History icon in the top navigation.
- Deselect or select options according to your preferences.